« Home | 香港小姐 » | Physicality of our Spirituality » | 愛情魔髮師 » | The changing economy (thanks to blogging) »

Talking to your car

Do you talk to your car?

Here are excerpt from part of a book that I recently read ("Out of the Question... Into the Mystery" by Leonard Sweet, in the chapter "The 'Things that draw us to God"):
I love certain garbage cans found at Burger King. You push open the can's door to deposit your trash. Some of the swinging doors even say "Thank You" on them, to which I responded, "You're welcome." One day I realized what I was doing... you've started talking to garbage cans!

The church could learn something from the hospitality of garbage cans.

I have a relationship... with my computer... I spend more time than I care to admit thanking God for my computer. I spend more time with it than I do with any person in my life...

...In the future, chips and radio transmitters will be inside everything - shirts, shoes, staplers, refrigerators, rough-hewn beans, toilets, hairbrushes, and hairpieces - which means everything will have an "interaction" and thus some measure of intimacy...

...I have a relationship with my car. I'm not the only one. A 2003 survey revealed that 63% of people talk to their cars, and 20% have given their cars names...

...What is different today is that the evolution of technology is so rapid that it is outpacing our social accommodations. In fact, human-to-human relationships are increasingly moderated by gizmos, implants, and other performance-enhancement devices with whom we are becoming intimate, even emotionally dependent...

Think about the implication of the above on discipleship and evangelism.

Labels:

  • 正如林一峰話齋,閱讀,也是一種 state of mind。
  • 所以不限文字,還有聲音影像一切雜崩能東西,都在涉獵反思消化乾坤大挪移之列。
  • 看重的只有一個字:Insight

Disclaimer

I work at Westside Baptist Church. Of course, that doesn't mean they agree with everything I post or link here. Everything here is my personal opinion and is not read or approved in advance. Consider yourself warned.