« Home | 回來了 » | 獻給無名的傳道者 » | The Potential of a Game Player » | Leaders » | 傻眼(二) » | 傻眼 » | 從巴士阿叔到會考手機出貓 » | What Guidance Is... and Is Not » | The Calling of Marriage » | A Brilliant "Business" Plan »

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team

When I was in Chicago I listened to a presentation by Patrick Lencioni on the topic "The Five Dysfunction of a Team", base on his book of the same name. This system of thinking provided me with a very good framework to explain why some teams don't work. I have used it to analyze two organizations related to me and this system is accurate in both cases. I highly recommend this book to anyone working in a team setting (who don't?), especially team leaders.

Here is part of an interview of Lencioni in which he explains the essence of this system:

MCNews: How can leaders spot the symptoms of a dysfunctional team?

Lencioni: What I call the five dysfunctions of a team are absence of trust, fear of conflict, lack of commitment, avoidance of accountability, and inattention to results. And all five have symptoms that team leaders can learn to identify.

One good indicator of team dysfunction, for example, is a boring team meeting. When people don’t challenge one another in discussions about the business, and when people go to meetings unmotivated, you can be pretty confident that they’re not collectively engaged.

Another good indicator of team problems is back-channel conflict. Do people reserve their complaints for hallway conversations instead of voicing them during meetings? If so, that’s a sign of both a lack of trust and healthy conflict.

Labels:

  • 正如林一峰話齋,閱讀,也是一種 state of mind。
  • 所以不限文字,還有聲音影像一切雜崩能東西,都在涉獵反思消化乾坤大挪移之列。
  • 看重的只有一個字:Insight

Disclaimer

I work at Westside Baptist Church. Of course, that doesn't mean they agree with everything I post or link here. Everything here is my personal opinion and is not read or approved in advance. Consider yourself warned.