« Home | Branding » | 7 Habits of Highly Effective Junior Designers » | 零食 » | Easter » | The Collect for Holy Saturday » | 講故事 » | On A1 » | History » | 我們都是愛聽道的 » | The ultimate sophistication »

Church shopaholics

What is wrong with me looking to go to another [church]?

What's wrong is this: I'm running away, I'm refusing to reconcile my differences. I’m looking for what the church can do for me and not what I can do for it. I want it easy, comfortable. I admit that’s a little hard to swallow ... but that’s how it is. I need to think about taking up my cross, not leaving it for the next person to pick up.

Now, where do I go from here?

Hmmmm, well I guess I need to work out what I have trouble with at the old church and how to move forward with those issues whether I can afford to return there or not.


Consumerism is the number one enemy (or the tool of our number one Enemy) of the church today. Attack!

Link

Labels:

what do you think about this?

Richard J. Mouw, "Spiritual Consumerism's Upside: Why church shopping may not be all bad."
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/january/29.50.html

i cannot agree with the article. the ecclesiology of the author, i think, have the following shortfalls:

1. he sees spirituality as an individual thing, missing on the communal dimension of our spiritual identity.
2. he sees church shopping or ministry / vocation discernment merely as an issue of choice, where the divine has no role in the process.

this is common shortfalls of evangelicalism. and i am not surprised that evangelicalism is being challenged so much these days.

Post a Comment
  • 正如林一峰話齋,閱讀,也是一種 state of mind。
  • 所以不限文字,還有聲音影像一切雜崩能東西,都在涉獵反思消化乾坤大挪移之列。
  • 看重的只有一個字:Insight

Disclaimer

I work at Westside Baptist Church. Of course, that doesn't mean they agree with everything I post or link here. Everything here is my personal opinion and is not read or approved in advance. Consider yourself warned.